The Lead SPD Technician provides a variety of technical functions and duties to provide for the decontamination, sterilization and assembly of re-usable patient care related supplies, equipment and instrumentation. The position is also responsible for maintenance of records and ensuring equipment is in proper working order.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Decontaminates and sterilizes instruments.
- Decontaminates, sorts, packages and sterilizes instrumentation and equipment in accordance with manufacturers recommendations.
- Provides appropriate sterilization indicators in packaging; documents parameters and outcomes of sterilization process.
- Coordinates decontamination process of instruments and equipment to ensure adequate availability for cases.
- Processes contaminated scopes according to manufacturers recommendations and departmental guidelines.
- Operates autoclaves. VPro, Steris and washer sterilizer, as appropriate to provide for timely availability of instruments and equipment for efficient departmental operations.
- Handles and cares for instrumentation and equipment to prevent breakage and damage.
- Enters new instrumentation into inventory tracking system and prepares for use with color-code tape as needed.
Oversees ENT SPD department in conjunction with management.
- Actively participates in staff and team meetings. Assists in decision-making to ensure complete and appropriate information is shared amongst the patient care team.
- Maintains records of all sterilizers, biological and chemical monitoring of VPro sterilizers to ensure proper operation, sterility of instruments and supplies in accordance with regulatory recommendations.
- Maintains Bowie Dick, biological and chemical monitoring of sterilization in accordance with established policy to ensure daily incubator reads for positive and negative spore testing; institutes recall of instruments and supplies when necessary.
- Works in conjunction with management on appropriate selection of new equipment, supplies and instrumentation.
- Provides flexibility in hours to meet the needs of the patients and the department.
Acquires ongoing education regarding instrumentation and sterilization and relays pertinent updates to staff.
- Participates in the necessary educational programs required to maintain skills and competencies.
- Participates in operational and quality improvement initiatives; proactively evaluates systems, participates in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Rotates, stores and orders supplies as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.