The Lead Sterile Processing & Distribution Technician provides a variety of technical functions in the decontamination and sterilization of surgical instruments and other medical supplies in compliance with policies and procedures of Perioperative Services, AORN, JCAHO, OSHA, and AAMI standards. The Lead SPD Technician has additional responsibilities of overseeing the SPD department in conjunction with management as well as maintenance of records and ensuring equipment is in proper working order. This position is required to hold a national certification as noted in the job qualifications.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Decontaminates and sterilizes instruments.
- Decontaminates, sorts, packages and sterilizes instrumentation and equipment in accordance with manufacturers recommendations.
- Provides appropriate sterilization indicators in packaging; documents parameters and outcomes of sterilization process.
- Coordinates decontamination process of instruments and equipment to ensure adequate availability for cases.
- Processes contaminated scopes according to manufacturers recommendations and departmental guidelines.
- Operates autoclaves. VPro, Steris and washer sterilizer, as appropriate to provide for timely availability of instruments and equipment for efficient departmental operations.
- Handles and cares for instrumentation and equipment to prevent breakage and damage.
- Enters new instrumentation into inventory tracking system and prepares for use with color-code tape as needed.
Oversees ENT SPD department in conjunction with management.
- Actively participates in staff and team meetings. Assists in decision-making to ensure complete and appropriate information is shared amongst the patient care team.
- Maintains records of all sterilizers, biological and chemical monitoring of VPro sterilizers to ensure proper operation, sterility of instruments and supplies in accordance with regulatory recommendations.
- Maintains Bowie Dick, biological and chemical monitoring of sterilization in accordance with established policy to ensure daily incubator reads for positive and negative spore testing; institutes recall of instruments and supplies when necessary.
- Works in conjunction with management on appropriate selection of new equipment, supplies and instrumentation.
- Provides flexibility in hours to meet the needs of the patients and the department.
Acquires ongoing education regarding instrumentation and sterilization and relays pertinent updates to staff.
- Participates in the necessary educational programs required to maintain skills and competencies.
- Participates in operational and quality improvement initiatives; proactively evaluates systems, participates in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Rotates, stores and orders supplies as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.