The Sterile Instrument Technician provides a varity of technical functions in compliance with policies and procedures of Perioperative Services, AORN, JCAHO, OSHA, and AAMI standards. The Sterile Instrument technician must have a working knowledge of decontamination, instrumentation, and sterilization.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Assures decontamination of instrumentation in accordance with manufactures recommendations and AAMI (Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation)standards.
- Receives soiled case carts/ Bins and soiled instruments into the Decontamination area. Prioritizes instruments needed for turnaround
- Handwashes or pre-soaks instruments in an enzymatic solution.
- Changes chemicals for washers when indicated, assuring that the proper chemicals are used.
Act as a liaison between the Operating Room and Sterile Processing to communicate the changes and needs for subsequent cases.
- Maintains records for the sterilization logs.
- Checks case carts/ Bins for needed items.
- Returns unused items to the Sterile Processing Department.
- Change out supply carts for operating room suites.(Main OR duty)
Maintains effective communication to insure appropriate instrumentation is available for surgery.
- Checks operating room needs regularly.
- Assembles instruments in order of importance.
- Inspects all instruments for damage.
- Assembles and tests instrumentation to ensure proper functioning.
- Determine when repair/replacement are needed.
- Wrap instruments/sets in appropriate wrapper/container.
- Utilizes instrument tray inventory sheets for proper sorting and stringing of instruments and equipment to provide for efficient operations.
- Provides appropriate sterilization indicators within correct instrumentation packaging.
Sterilizes instruments and equipment according to manufacturers recommendations and AAMI standards.
- Perform all daily test and record results.
- Prepare label gun with correct date and Identification number and stamp each item to be sterilized.
- Document load items in Sterilization Log.
- Place sterilized items onto the appropriate shelf location.
- Assemble case carts accurately and indicate missing items in the pick list. (Main OR duty)
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.