Posting Note: #PCHCB
This position supervises the daily activities of the hospital based coding staff and oversees the daily workflow to ensure that PCH maintains the highest quality for accurate and compliant coding. This position will oversee and assist with all of the internal and external coding reviews conducted throughout the year. This position will report directly to the Coding and Compliance Manager. This position will ensure that all coding staff are following the established coding guidelines and are compliant with regulatory standards. Collaborates with management to provide relevant education and ideas to develop comprehensive policies and procedures, compliance training, and reduce bill edits. Oversees that the coding staff are using all coding tools provided in addition to the successful usage of computerized assisted coding. Works closely with the Clinical Documentation Integrity staff by assisting with questions and recommended coding changes. Assists the Coding manager by evaluating, collecting data and recommending changes for documentation improvement for codable conditions. Assists the hospital in providing accurate data for State reporting and other key external programs.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Daily monitors and updates Coding Manager on status of the fatal edit report. Closely monitors the fatal edit prelag report so bills are dropped in a timely manner and without any edits or coding delays. Troubleshoots and establishes goals with the Coding Manager for a positive and consistent cash flow.
- Ensures that staff are meeting both quality and quantity productivity standards.
- Establishes departmental work schedule to ensure proper coverage based on volumes and work types. Plans ahead for PTO and holidays. Approval of overtime discreetly. Supervises daily operational activities that directly involve coding, abstracting, and assignment of E&M levels. Monitors quality and quantity of staffs performance. Must have a full understanding of revenue cycle and compliance regulations. Oversees the facility-wide coding and abstracting process to ensure that we are capturing all the correct data for PHIS and State reporting. Participates in continuing education activities to enhance knowledge and skills, and to maintain current credentials.
- Maintains and updates HIM policies and guidelines regarding coding and abstracting, and internal quality reviews, to reflect current practices and ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. Researches complex coding issues to determine accurate code assignment. Communicates with Coding Staff regarding current policies and procedures.
- Works closely the Revenue Cycle Team to ensure all Bill Edits and DRG denials are being reviewed in a timely manner. Will assist Coding Manager with all Coding Denials with staff.
- Works closely with IT to ensure all coding updates are tested and installed within time frames
- Promotes the department by dressing and communicating professionally.
- Promotes positive internal and external customer relations through prompt and courteous service.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills and attention to detail by responding timely to emails and projects.
- Participates in a variety of department, unit and hospital educational programs to maintain current skill and competency levels.
- Attends required meetings.
- Works independently and in a team environment.
- Open to change and considerable variety in work activities; effortlessly adjusting to new or changing situations and unexpected events; altering one's approach to tasks and project with minimal loss of efficiency
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.