Maintains and organizes laboratory send outs. Accurately processes, organizes, orders, labels and prepares specimens for transport to reference laboratory.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Receives and triages specimens to be evaluated.
- Demonstrates knowledge and competency using the Laboratory Information System to accurately receive specimens, and order tests as indicated on the requisition. Data must be complete and accurately entered to include appropriate test name, footnotes, comments, order priorities, physician names, patient location, collection information, etc. Demonstrates competency in choosing the correct patient account to use for ordering tests.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all reference laboratories utilized by the department, and chooses appropriate reference laboratory for the testing ordered.
- Maintains thorough and complete documentation of work performed. Provides required information on all requisitions, lab orders, or worksheets handled. Files requisitions, reports and other pathology/laboratory materials.
- Maintains positive working relationship with the medical staff and hospital personnel. Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public. Acts independently on supervisors direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policies and procedures of the hospital and the laboratory. Works different shifts as required.
- Communicates with other laboratory personnel when specimens need to be transported to other areas. Demonstrates excellent customer service to all internal and external customers. Communicates clearly and professionally with patients, nurses, physicians, visitors, and coworkers in a courteous, friendly, and helpful manner. All phone conversation is professional. Phones are answered promptly using clear speech and good listening skills.
- Recognizes problem occurrences, identifies causes, and takes corrective action to solve basic problems. Consults supervisor or manager if no preset criteria are available.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.