This is an entry level position is responsible for processing all release of information (ROI) requests, in compliance with organizational policies, HIPAA and State regulations, to ensure the highest quality patient care is provided while maintaining confidentiality of our patient's protected health information. At all times, ensures that only authorized individuals have access to the patient's health information.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Reviews and processes requests for release of information by obtaining a valid authorization when required. All requests are documented in the ROI software per departmental procedures. Verifies proper authorization for release of health information through analysis of each record. Uses various forms of media to complete requests for health information (Copier, fax machine, CD's, Scanner, etc).
- Identifies the components for a valid authorization
- Reads and comprehends written request for records.
- Records are retrieved and copied/scanned from paper/electronic files.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations before disclosure.
- Monitors incoming ROI requests and processes according to departmental procedures.
- Verifies the completeness of records before released.
- Calculates applicable charges.
Understands and becomes knowledgeable of Release of Information standards, policies and procedures and HIPAA regulations and completes work in compliance of these and other applicable standards. Obtains guidance from Department Manager/designee, and Privacy Officer for appropriate interpretation on relevant policies, procedures and regulations for privacy, confidentiality, patient rights and disclosure of information.
- Ensures the requestor is legally authorized representative or entity.
- Notifies the Department Manager/designee, and Legal/Compliance Department of requests involving potential litigation.
Effectively uses computer software and technology as required by the organization including Microsoft Word and Excel. Uses fax, copier, phone system and other required tools. Locates the records for the patient in multiple systems as required. Meets minimum performance standards. Delivers positive customer service and ensures process deadlines are met.
- Researches outside record storage locations and request records as appropriate.
- Receives and back scans the record per procedure.
- Scans, imports and uploads documents as required per procedure and requester.
- Validates the requester as permitted to review records.
- Reports daily productivity.
- Adheres to the Health Information Management Department standards of conduct.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.