The position is responsible for supervising and overseeing the daily operations across the Social Work department, including transitions of care, monitoring productivity standards, assessing workflow efficiency, problem resolution and troubleshooting issues to ensure optimum efficiency for the department and compliance with all regulatory and licensing requirements. Under the direction of Manager, Social Work, conducts performance evaluations and implements disciplinary actions. Responsible for assigned patients, and provides clinical assessment, therapeutic interventions, care coordination, transition planning and emotional support to patients and families at PCH within their scope of practice. Participates as an interdisciplinary team member providing interventions with the patient/family that include a range of care from bio-psychosocial assessment, diagnosis, treatment planning, therapeutic interventions, crisis interventions, coordination of care, bereavement support, and transition/discharge planning. The position may provide individual, group, family therapeutic interventions for an assigned caseload. This position reports to the Manager, Social Work.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Provides supervision, mentoring, and direction as appropriate for ongoing staff development and retention.
- Rotates on-call responsibilities with other assigned staff.
- Monitors implementation of approved productivity standards, protocols, policies, and guidelines and supports overall organizational values and mission.
- Participates in hospital and departmental operational initiatives to evaluate and improve care delivery.
- Functions as part of a leadership team with the Social Work Team Leads and the Social Work Manager on operational changes, quality improvement and/or productivity issues for the Social Work Department.
- Coordinates work activities of assigned staff to ensure achievement of established goals, objectives, and outcomes.
- Supports employees through ongoing goal setting, training and performance feedback.
- In conjunction with the Social Work Manager, evaluates performance and completes administrative performance appraisals.
- Demonstrates strong, consistent clear communication and serves as a central point of information informing all team members.
- Acts as the Allscripts Care Manager (ACM) superuser.
Psychosocial Assessments and Interventions
- Assesses the bio-psychosocial status, which may include, but not be limited to, mental health status, diagnostic impressions, support systems, safety issues, risk for abuse/ neglect, suicide risk assessment, evaluates clients for appropriateness of placement, coping skills, family systems, and cognitive abilities, etc.
- Identifies therapeutic goals to assist patient and family in improving family functioning, mental health, goal attainment, enhanced self-sufficiency, improve medical adherence, etc.
- Identifies any barriers that impeded treatment and/or recovery, and help patient/family identify strengths and build on protective factors to assist with success at discharge, and collaborate with the interdisciplinary team to identify treatment plan goals and objectives to facilitate timely and efficient discharges and to participate in proactive transition/ discharge planning.
Coordination of care
- Develops plans and coordinates effective treatment interventions, develops comprehensive treatment plans, designs and implements therapeutic interventions.
- Cultivates and maintains effective interaction/ communication with members of the medical staff, nursing staff, case managers, peers and families to facilitate care coordination provide and continuity of care between inpatient and outpatient.
- Develops treatment goals and objectives of disciplines involved in patient care, plans and coordinates effective treatment interventions, develops and implements discharge planning.
- As necessary, initiate and/or attend care conferences, interdisciplinary team rounds, and/or critical incidents/stress debriefings.
- Refers cases identified as risk management issues, peer review issues, or quality issues to appropriate departmental units.
- Conducts or facilitates individual, group and family therapy meetings to assess and treat chemical dependency, mental health and/or family system issues.
- Reviews open patient records to assure compliance with policy and procedures and delivery of services per treatment plan.
- Develops home contracts, level contracts, goals and objectives, according to patient and family need.
- Monitors consistency and timeliness of documentation across the social work department.
- Completes clinical record documentation in a timely manner, including delineation of treatment goals, therapeutic interventions, coordination of care activities, treatment recommendations, etc. to assist colleagues and medical team, as required by facility procedures.
- Completes handoff documentation to Social Work Department per Department procedures.
- Maintains professional competency by regularly participating in a variety of educational programs and in services, reviewing relevant professional publications, participating in community based committees related to service line responsibilities, and/or participating in professional societies to ensure ongoing awareness of current methodologies, practices and philosophies as applied to the patient care population.
- Maintains current knowledge of community and other resources networks to meet patient and family needs, provides relevant resources, and assist, as necessary with connecting the patient/ family to the relevant resources.
- Transplant social workers receive ongoing education in the field of transplantation.
- Participates fully in Clinical Supervision, as applicable, in accordance with Board of Behavioral Health Examiners requirements.
Provides excellent customer service
- Establishes a collaborative relationship with interdisciplinary team, community providers and Hospital Revenue Cycle management and staff.
- Provides excellent service routinely in interactions with all customers, i.e. coworkers, patients, visitors, physicians, volunteers, etc.
- Responds to emails within 24 hours.
- Clear communication skills with all internal and external customers.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.