This position manages the departmental clinical quality and safety programs as well as assumes other departmental responsibilities such as implementing new pharmacy programs, educating and training pharmacy personnel, residents and students. This position reports directly to the Chief of Pharmacy and is responsible for the direct supervision of clinical services staff to include: Clinical Specialists, Clinical Research Pharmacist and Pharmacy Residents and provides clinical support for the patient care pharmacist and pharmacy intern staff. Responsible for the hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of direct reports. . Provides ongoing maintenance of all clinical, quality and safety programs as required by state and federal licensing and accrediting agencies.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Directs development, implementation, and maintenance of clinical pharmacy programs and services and acts as a consultant in areas of expertise. Actively participates with developing and planning department goals, and objectives that advance pharmacy practice and are consistent with the Hospital’s mission, vision, values and operating cycle.
- Directly supervises and instructs clinical specialists, clinical research pharmacist, pharmacy residents and students and oversees the clinical competency training of these individuals and clinical staff pharmacists.
- Develops and implements treatment guidelines, protocols, formulary changes, and critical pathways as approved by appropriate committees and coordinates the antibiotic stewardship initiatives.
- Supervises the maintenance and dissemination of drug information through in-service education of department personnel, hospital personnel, and consultation with patients, families, hospital staff and medical staff. Contributes to the advancement of the profession through oral case presentations, publication, presentations at local, state and national meetings and providing community education.
- Actively contributes to the pharmacy department pharmacoeconomic efforts and formulary management and assists the Chief of Pharmacy to develop and implement cost reduction strategies to maintain costs within budget and realize pharmaceutical cost reduction opportunities.
- Ensures safe, appropriate, cost-effective medication therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures and protocols and recommends therapeutic alternatives to medical staff as needed.
- Contributes to and maintains departmental Quality Control programs as appropriate and ensures compliance with The Joint Commission Standards and National Patient Safety Goals for clinical measures.
- Serves as Recording Secretary for the hospital’s Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) Committee and assists the Chairman of Committee of the P&T and the Chief of Pharmacy with leading the committee meetings. Directly leads the P&T efforts and meeting agenda and actively participates in other hospital sponsored clinical, quality, safety, and research and performance improvement committees as assigned. Prepares and leads drug reviews, MUE criteria, adverse drug reaction analysis and reporting, medication error reporting, pharmacy newsletters and pharmacy interventions.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of clinical competency and education modules. Routinely assesses departmental education needs and provides the appropriate learning experiences, i.e. on the job training, workshop, in-services, etc.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.