This is an advanced level clinical specialist position responsible for the provision of departmental and organizational clinical pharmacy services and leadership for the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program. This position provides comprehensive clinical pharmacy services to patients from neonate to adulthood while performing the duties of a registered pharmacist as defined by the Arizona State Board of Pharmacy and Phoenix Children's Hospital. This position reports directly to the Manager of Clinical Pharmacy Services for hiring, termination, clinical practice direction and annual evaluation. The position receives operations direction and supervision from the Sr. Manager of Pharmacy Services and is professionally accountable to the Chief of Pharmacy Services.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Reviews and manages medication orders for therapeutic appropriateness based upon age, weight, height, laboratory values (where appropriate), diagnosis and other patient and clinical information pertinent to safe and effective care.
- Effectively screens for and manages clinical alerts/conditions (i.e. allergies, interactions, therapeutic duplications, adverse drug reactions (ADR) etc.)
- Actively problem solves issues with medication orders and contacts the prescriber to recommend appropriate alternative medication therapy as needed.
- Complies with the directives of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee related to Formulary Management.
- Documents clinical interventions to meet or exceed established cost containment and evidence based medication therapy goals for the department and organization.
- Actively reviews, verifies or enters medication orders into medication management systems in an accurate and timely manner. Appropriately evaluates entries to the patient profile and intervenes when needed to ensure patient safety.
- Participates in inpatient rounding with the Infectious Disease Service to meet the routine and urgent medication related needs of the patient and to ensure ongoing efficient provision of quality, safe and efficacious pharmaceutical care.
- Effectively communicates problems, unique patient needs and other necessary information to on-coming staff for enhanced continuity of care. Responds to all modes of communication within the department and hospital and proactively solves problems. Answers phones promptly and politely demonstrating PCH Values of excellence in clinical care, service and communication at all times.
Ensures patient safety and clinical quality in the provision of pharmaceutical care throughout the facility and actively participates in patient safety committees. Facilitates, coordinates and monitors actively data capture and date review of quality improvement initiatives and makes recommendations, as needed.
- Develops, enforces and maintains policies and procedures that promote and enhance patient outcomes through safe, effective, cost-efficient and appropriate medication therapy use for patients receiving antimicrobials.
- Coordinates programs designed to minimize medication errors, adverse drug reactions and medication misuse with regards to medication preparations through improved reporting, analysis and follow-up.
Coordinates and maintains the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program.
- Develop guidelines, policies, and other monitoring and intervention strategies for antimicrobial use and streamlining prophylactic, empiric, and definitive antimicrobial therapy.
- Review and analyze daily antimicrobial audits for appropriate use in collaboration with the Infectious Disease Service.
- Compile and report data and findings on antimicrobial use to the Antimicrobial Stewardship, Infection Control and Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committees.
- Coordinate, facilitate and promote education, training, competency assessment and performance improvement of pharmacists, pharmacy residents and other healthcare professionals in the appropriate use of antimicrobials.
Maintains interdepartmental relationships to facilitate communication related to clinical pharmacy services and patient care within and between the pharmacy department and other areas in the organization. Functions as the advanced clinical expert and liaison for Antimicrobial Stewardship Program, to include all medical and pharmacy services, and shares information consistently and proactively.
- Participates in patient and family education and supports in transition of care to discharge.
- Actively involved with medication reconciliation at the patient care level.
Participates in professional development programs to ensure ongoing awareness and understanding of the most current methodologies, practices, and philosophies in Antimicrobial Stewardship Program.
- Co-Chair the Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee with Infectious Disease specialist.
- Actively attends national meetings to enhance practice base and publish information in primary pharmacy literature and practice groups.
- Actively participates on assigned and relevant department and hospital based teams to provide advanced clinical knowledge and input.
- Actively involved with maintaining and authoring formulary, patient care and medication safety policies and procedure within the scope of the clinical practice area served and others as assigned.
Demonstrates ability to provide appropriate level of pharmaceutical care, medication therapy reviews, intervention documentation, safety and cost effective pharmaceutical care.
- Actively assists with managing therapies prescribed to support evidence based practice.
- Documents pharmacist interventions in established data base and reports results.
- Leads and participates in managing drug shortages, recalls and alternative formulary selections.
- Attends Code Blue and other assigned emergency responses as required.
Actively assesses, develops provides educational needs to the pharmacy staff. Assists with the development of continuous hospital education and training programs.
- Provides a minimum assigned level of educational lectures and/or in-services to pharmacy personnel, physicians, and nurses in the areas of pharmacotherapy and pharmacy operations related to the specific patient care area to ensure ongoing learning and understanding.
- Provides advanced clinical preceptorship and experiential training for pharmacy students, pharmacy residents, medical residents, medical and hospital staff.
Provides pharmacoeconomic leadership to medication formulary management and antimicrobial stewardship to the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee approved initiatives.
- Actively performs planned and targeted drug usage evaluation reviews or therapeutic classifications to promote rational drug therapy and meet established standards of accrediting and licensing bodies and annual department goals.
- Drug Use Evaluations (DUE) must be completed each year for the clinical team and requires individual active participation.
- Contributes recommendations and activities to manage pharmaceutical expense within budget and achieves budget targets set.
- Actively prepares monographs and presents at Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.