The External Communications Manager is responsible for communications with external stakeholders (media, patient families, partners, etc.) to support overall awareness of Phoenix Children’s and its mission. This involves developing outreach strategies and writing communications materials that are compelling and cause behavior change, delivering them to the intended audiences through the right channels, and receiving feedback, all while keeping the specific communication purpose/goal in mind. The External Communications Manager uses their planning, writing and editing skills to develop ongoing communications strategies for audiences of Phoenix Children’s and advises on content, timing and frequency of information to be communicated. For instance, they may develop an external communications campaign to inform external audiences about new programs, facilities and services offered by Phoenix Children’s. This may be accomplished through media relations, content strategy, social media marketing, influencer marketing, speakers’ bureaus and other events. The External Communications Manager also works closely to support internal stakeholders and audiences with speaking points, key messages and proofreading and review of communication materials for consistency in style, tone and voice. The keys to effective communications at Phoenix Children’s are consistency and constancy. Excellent writing and interpersonal relationship skills are needed to be successful in this role. The External Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Develops and executes External Communications Plans; Defines desired results and implements details of plans in line with agreed-upon goals.
- Builds and maintains relationships with members of the media on a local and national level, external stakeholders, senior leadership, and provider leadership to ensure that relevant communications flow smoothly for the organization. Also works with senior leadership to prepare them for media training and message delivery.
- Creates systems and leads the project management to oversee the workload, resources, internal/external teams to deliver on multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously, meeting deadlines, quality measures and budgets.
Research and Strategy Development
- Uses research to better understand stakeholders in order to develop strategies and tactics to communicate appropriately. Studies Phoenix Children’s strategic objectives and needs to build impactful and creative communications strategies that keep the organization and its audiences informed about Phoenix Children`s developments.
- Develops compelling content to assist in designing messages that are resonant, timely and appropriate for the communication channel being used.
- Resolves conflicts or complaints from customers and employees.
- Contributes to and achieves team objectives.
- Generates reports and presents information to upper-level management.
- Ensures adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.