Posting Note: This candidate will work Monday through Friday from 2:30 -11:00pm
The Sterile Processing & Distribution (SPD) Technician provides a variety of technical functions in the decontamination and sterilization of surgical instruments and other medical supplies in compliance with policies and procedures of Perioperative Services, AORN, JCAHO, OSHA, and AAMI standards. The SPD Technician must have a working knowledge of decontamination, instrumentation, and sterilization.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Assures decontamination of instrumentation in accordance with manufactures recommendations and AAMI (Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation) standards.
- Decontaminates, sorts, packages, and sterilizes instrumentation and equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations. Assembles and tests instrumentation to ensure proper functioning prior to sterilization. Determines when repair / replacement of instrumentation is needed.
- Provides appropriate sterilization indicators in packaging; documents parameters and outcomes of sterilization process.
- Coordinates decontamination process of instruments and equipment to ensure adequate availability for cases.
- Processes contaminated scopes according to manufacturer’s recommendations and departmental guidelines.
- Operates autoclaves, Steris and washer sterilizer, as appropriate to provide for timely availability of instruments and equipment for efficient departmental operations
- Handles and cares for instrumentation and equipment to prevent breakage and damage.
Act as a liaison between the Operating Room and Sterile Processing to communicate the changes and needs for subsequent cases.
- Actively participates in staff and team meetings. Assists in decision making to ensure complete and appropriate information is shared amongst patient care team.
- Maintains records of all sterilizers, biological and chemical monitoring of steam, and Steris sterilizers to ensure proper operation, sterility of instruments and supplies in accordance with regulatory recommendations.
- Maintains Bowie Dick, biological and chemical monitoring of sterilization in accordance with established policy to ensure daily incubator reads for positive and negative spore testing; institutes recall of instruments and supplies when necessary.
- Works in conjunction with management on appropriate selection of new equipment, supplies, and instrumentation.
- Provides flexibility in hours to meet the needs of the patients and the department.
- Prioritizes instruments needed for turnaround; assembles trays in order of importance.
Maintains effective communication to insure appropriate instrumentation is available for surgery.
- Checks operating room needs regularly.
- Assembles instruments in order of importance.
- Inspects all instruments for damage.
- Assembles and tests instrumentation to ensure proper functioning.
- Determine when repair/replacement are needed.
- Wrap instruments/sets in appropriate wrapper/container.
- Utilizes instrument tray inventory sheets for proper sorting and stringing of instruments and equipment to provide for efficient operations.
- Provides appropriate sterilization indicators within correct instrumentation packaging.
Sterilizes instruments and equipment according to manufacturer's recommendations and AAMI standards.
- Perform all daily test and record results.
- Prepare label gun with correct date and Identification number and stamp each item to be sterilized.
- Document load items in Sterilization Log.
- Place sterilized items onto the appropriate shelf location.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.