This mid-level level position performs all the duties of the HIM Technician and advanced duties such as general ROI requests, patient portal inquiries, MPI edits, importing of documents or charts, and research of chart requests in multiple systems in compliance with organizational policies and HIPAA and government regulations. Maintains the confidentiality of our patient's protected health information. At all times, ensures that only authorized individuals have access to the patient's health information. Recalls charts from offsite storage, other clinics, or specific areas to ensure complete charts are provided when necessary. Monitoring and completing transcription work queues. This position is also responsible for resolving problems with documents such as missing medical record numbers, wrong document name, etc.. Assists HIM Management with special projects. This position is required to cover weekends and holidays and may be assigned to a second or third shift.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Performs the basic HIM functions proficiently including scanning, chart retrievals from the floors and clinics, record editing, quality assurance, and customer calls. Maintains their productivity accurately and provides the information to the Lead via worksheet. Must answer telephones and other customer communications professionally and efficiently. Maintains a productivity level of scanning and QA at 95% or better. Must maintain a quality level of scanning and QA of 99% or better.
- Chart Run – retrieves records from several locations and escalates missing records or
- deviation from normal processes to the Lead.
- Scanning - Converts paper documents to electronic image (via scanning)
- Record Editing – deletes, adds, or moves documents to ensure the accuracy of the
- medical record and to avoid possible breach by having another patient’s document in the current patient’s record.
- Quality Assurance (QA) – Reviews scanned images against source document to
- ensure the quality of the image, the patient demographics are for the appropriate patient record, and the number of images scanned match those in the chart.
- Answers internal and external calls courteously and professionally and ensures the customer's request is addressed.
- Maintains productivity level at the 95% or better.
- Passes quality reviews for scanning accuracy at a 99% or better rate.
Performs advanced HIM functions assisting other areas of HIM and PCH to ensure excellent customer service, proficient and timely processing of HIM work, and quality-focused outcomes. Performs these functions in compliance with organizational policies, HIPAA and State regulations, while maintaining confidentiality of our patients protected health information. At all times, ensures that only authorized individuals have access to the
patients' health information.
- Chart Request – manages storage charts, send and request chart for pick-up and delivery. Manage internal tracking sheet to know the status and location of the chart. Scans paper record into Chartmaxx for clinician review and release of records.
- Imports – manages PDF importing documents from multiple different sources. Receives emails and obtains PDF documents from folders and imports the documents into patient records.
- Homebase - charts are picked up daily, weekly, monthly from specialty clinic that house current documents for patient care, charts are carefully reviewed for completeness, scan documents that have not been scanned to the EHR, return scanned chart back to clinic.
- MPI Edits – assists the MPI team to correct registration information when needed.
- ROI – Fully trained and assists the ROI team by answering customer telephone inquiries and releasing simple and continuation of care requests in a HIPAA compliant manner.
- Patient Portal – assists with patient portal inquiries and directs callers to appropriate person or process.
- Scanner - Maintains daily cleaning, troubleshoots scanner issues, and advise the IT department to get issues resolved.
- Train –assists in training new employees according to function standards and provides factual feedback to the HIM Lead and Supervisor.
General HIM Department Requirements
- Adheres to Health Information Management department standards of conduct including attendance, lateness, and dress code policies.
- Promotes positive internal and external customer relations through prompt and courteous service.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Meets 100% competency requirements for the position.
- Participates in a variety of department, unit and hospital educational programs to maintain current skill and competency levels.
- Attends required meetings.
- Adheres to all deadlines/competencies required.
- Works independently and in a team environment.
- Open to change and considerable variety in work activities; effortlessly adjusting to new or changing situations and unexpected events; altering one's approach to tasks and project with minimal loss of efficiency.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.