This position performs general histology functions, routine histologic and immunohistochemical testing according to clearly prescribed procedures and laboratory techniques or developmental methods. This position receives general supervision of work activities from the department supervisor and does not supervise any other position.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- Performs general histology functions independently to include small tissue grossing, tissue processing, embedding, microtomy, routine H&E staining, coverslipping.
- Performs complex histology functions, in conjunction with senior histologist, to include special stains, histochemical stains, immunohistochemical stains.
- Performs regular instrument maintenance in accordance with established instructions; identifies and troubleshoots malfunctions to ensure continuous proper and safe operations.
- Assembles and delivers patient case slides and reports to pathologists.
- Participates in the evaluation and/or development of new procedures, instrumentation, assays and quality improvement initiatives. Proactively evaluates practices and assists to create and implement changes to increase and enhance the effectiveness of methods.
- Maintains professional and technical competency through constantly pursuing knowledge and self improvement by remaining apprised of current literature, practices and new developments in the field of histology. This includes participation in continuing education opportunities to maintain certification.
- Files and maintains storage of tissues blocks, glass slides, tissue controls.
- Assists in monitoring Quality Control performance and documentation.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.